Summary of Requirements:
- Experience: 30 facilitated sessions, 5 different clients or 5 different departments within an organization, 10 different sponsors. (Note: Facilitators who have received the Certified Professional Facilitator designation from the International Association of Facilitators receive credit for 10 sessions.)
- Knowledge: Written responses to 30 questions related to sub-competencies
- Performance: Videotape of a simulated facilitated session accompanied by a detailed facilitation agenda and guide
- Client References: 5 client reference letters
- Assessment: Score 4.0 or higher in each of the six competency areas on both the knowledge assessment and the performance assessment
A candidate for the Certified Master Facilitation certification must achieve the following:
- Experience – Meet the Masters experience requirement by documenting the facilitation of a minimum of 30 “distinct” facilitated sessions with a minimum of 5 different “project sponsors” and 5 different organizations or departments. Facilitators who have received the Certified Professional Facilitator designation from the International Association of Facilitators receive credit for 10 sessions. (See the Glossary of Terms for a definition of terms in quotation marks.)
The experience requirement can be met in one of two ways:
INIFAC will review the documentation to ensure all experience requirements are met. INIFAC will do a verification check on a random sample of the sessions to ensure the accuracy of the documentation. A minimum of 80% of the sample must pass verification.
- Based on sessions completed over the three-year period immediately preceding the date of the application; or
- For facilitators who receive the Provisional CMF designation: based on sessions completed over the three-year period immediately preceding the date of the application, plus sessions completed during the application process and after receiving the Provisional CMF designation.
- Knowledge – Meet the Masters knowledge requirement by completing a written submission responding to each of the master facilitator competencies and subcompetencies. The INIFAC assessors will score each response on a five-point scale.
- Performance – Meet the Masters performance requirement by submitting a video of a simulated facilitated session lasting 25-35 minutes based on a specific topic and a set of participant guidelines provided by INIFAC. The INIFAC assessors will review the video and score your performance in the relevant sub-competencies on a five-point scale.
- Feedback – Meet the Masters feedback requirement by providing letters of recommendation from five different “project sponsors” from five different “organizations” for facilitations completed within three years of the date of application.
- Competency – Meet the Masters competency requirement by achieving a rating of 4.0 (out of 5) or higher in each of the six master facilitator competencies on both the knowledge assessment and the performance assessment based on the scoring of INIFAC assessors in each relevant sub-competency.
- The Assessment – A Positive Experience – Everyone who undertakes the CMF assessment receives a certificate showing the rating of their skills and knowledge as follows:
Facilitators who want to continue to advance their skills are encouraged to periodically resubmit their information to assess their progress toward becoming a Certified Master Facilitator.
- Advanced (CMF): Score 4.0 or higher (out of 5.0) in each competency area in the knowledge and performance assessment.
- Certified Competent Facilitator: Score 2.5 or higher (out of 5.0) in each competency area.